6 Ways to be a Better Team MemberBy
In the fast paced ever changing business world of the 21st century, high functioning teams have become the norm. The very well-being, and/or survival, of many companies depend on these teams for their very existence. To reach high competency each team member must have a clear understanding of his/her personal strengths, a real appreciation of the difference in others, and how their strengths interact with those of others. This knowledge is the foundation for successful team development.
On the other hand, each member of a team is an individual with his/her own characteristics and behaviorial preferences. Their success as a member of an operating team will depend, to a large extent, on how well they interrelate, and capitalize on the strengths of each individual team member.
Leaders must be aware that each team is composed people who are different – with different needs and wants. Effective leaders understand that “one size does not fit all”. They adapt their approach to meet the needs of their followers.
The following are 6 ways in which each individual can become a higher functioning team member.
- Know the team’s vision: – its objective, or where they are planning to go. Each team member must know this and internalise this vision, which needs to be part of their everyday activities. Remember the old saying “all winds are favorable to a ship without a destination”
- 2. Constantly practice the “Elements of Trust”:
- Congruence: “I say what I mean and mean what I say!”
- Reliability: “You can count on me”
- Acceptance; “Who you are is okay with me”
- Openness: “I can give and accept feedback”
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle: Include exercise in your daily and weekly plans.
- Maintain a positive attitude: Be the type of person that everyone wants to be around
- Be organized: Plan your day and work your plan
- Be knowledgeable: Upgrade your skills and stay current with our changing technology
Teams are groups of diverse people united by a common goal or purpose. Operating effectively they exemplify the acronym T.E.A.M. (“Together Everyone Achieves More”).
With all of this, the most asked question is, “How do I know what each person’s needs or wants are?” To answer this question NorQuest Associates can provide access to the “Everything DiSC® Application Library” with a separate profile for Leaders, Management, Sales, and Workplace. One of the great strengths of this program is that follow-up reports can be created for any two participants, to illustrate their similarities and differences. Participants can get unlimited access to these comparison reports at no additional charge.
For further information please visit our website http://www.DiscAndMore.com
Click the “Like” button below to join our Facebook Community where we share NorQuest information and other articles of interest daily!