It is, I believe, generally agreed that feedback is necessary for any form of performance improvement. In the business world this often takes the form of a 360 Feedback Project in which performance data is sought from other groups on the performance of an individual – usually the person’s manager, direct reports, peers and others.
But one of the key reservations about 360 Feedback is that sometimes respondents feel safe in including “zinger” or malicious comments in their anonymous feedback. This possibility has derailed many 360 projects.
But now Inscape publishing has a new type of 360 degree instrument that has resolved most, if not all, of the problems with previous 360 instruments. The new Everything DiSC® 363™ for Leaders combines the best of the 360s with the simplicity and power of DiSC, plus three personalized strategies for improving leadership effectiveness. The result is a 360 experience that is much more productive and satisfying.
This new document is different in that:
- It takes the sting out of the 360 feedback experience. With CommentSmart, Inscape’s new selectable comments feature, raters give focused balanced and constructive feedback that the Leader can actually use.
- It is easier to understand and use. It combines clear visuals and a conversational narrative style to interpret and explain the data.
- Finally the “Now What” question is answered by giving leadersthree things they can focus on right away – strategies to improve their leadershipeffectiveness, and that can be put into effect immediately.
CommentSmart helps to save time and stress. It allows raters to choose from highly-tested, behavioral focused comments to give more richness, context and depth to their feedback – without the potential for snide remarks. One user commented, “I like that you can choose comments. You don’t have to educate people about how to write constructive comments.”
Through360™ Feedback, one can have their strengths highlighted, but also areas in which they can achieve even greater effectiveness. To ensure this goal, the outcome of the 360 should be the development of a “Personal Development Plan”. The leader should then be accountable for the success of his/her development plan.To ensure success, personal coaching should be available. A Coaching Supplement to the 363™ Feedback for Leaders is available at no additional cost.
So, in summary, the process for a successful 363™ for Leaders should include:
- Setup:establishing the purpose, scope and timeline with the Project Team
- Communication: announcing the program to the organization and notifying the leaders and raters who will be participating
- Assessment: completing the assessment process, following up to ensure completion, and generating the reports
- Coaching:meeting with leaders to process feedback and create action plans for further follow-up
- Wrap-up: reviewing program results and identifying opportunities for improvements, and planning next steps.
The bottom line is that – “Honest and reliable feedback is necessary to test one’s own perceptions, recognize previously unseen strengths, and become aware of blind spots in one’s self-perceptions.” Charles Rogel, Director Business Development, DecisionWise,Inc
Click the “Like” button below to join our Facebook Community where we share NorQuest information and other articles of interest daily!